Monday, May 25, 2009

Part 2: EDGE Corps

Let’s restart this thing off with a verse:

Habakkuk 1:5 “Look among the nations and watch— Be utterly astounded! For I will work a work in your days which you would not believe, though it were told you.”

Somehow in the last 4 months, God has moved my life to the point where the only thing that made sense was to join EDGE corps after college. In case you don’t know EDGE corps is a 1 or 2 year program created by the Navigators to train Christians after college and help them minister to students at a college campus. I say somehow, but God was very intentional about putting me in this position. Let me explain.

As recently as 4 months ago I had a pretty solid outline for my life. Finish college, find a job in the business world, start a family, start my own business, and then grow old....Or something, that part was still a little fuzzy. As my graduation date approached however I began to realize something, I realized that I’m not equipped to take God with me into the workplace and be effective. I needed some training. At the same time I saw an opportunity I would never have again; the opportunity to reach minister to college students as a peer. With that in mind and taking it before God, I decided that joining EDGE corps for a year (with the option for a 2nd year) was what I wanted to do. To learn how to reach out to people and get involved in their lives to help them grow in Christ or maybe share the Gospel with them.

That verse from Habakkuk I started with was shared during one of our first training sessions as EDGE members. The idea I took away from it is that Habakkuk cries out to God over the evil of his people; the disrepair of his world really, and wants God to show himself or at least spare Habakkuk the pain of seeing anymore of this misery. There are definitely times I have that feeling, where I forget that God can do a work in this world, in the people I know, and I just wish that the whole thing would just go away. After reading that verse thought it’s exciting to think that God has said “No, I want you at San Diego State University where I will remind you and your small mindedness what I can do”. I can’t wait. Please pray for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment